The challenge of creating a real-life computational equivalent of the human mind, known as the BICA Challenge, calls for our joint efforts to develop biologically-inspired intelligent agents that can be accepted and trusted by the human society in various roles, on an equal footing with human agents. The main objective of BICA 2012 is to take a significant step forward towards the BICA Challenge.
The topics of BICA 2012 will include (but not be limited to):
- models capable of inducing the sense of presence in artifacts;
- the “critical mass” of a human-level learner;
- emotional competence and social intelligence in artifacts;
- machine consciousness and BICA;
- models of perception, cognition and action;
- robust and scalable learning mechanisms;
- realistic neural networks for BICA;
- human-like episodic and semantic memory;
- metacognition in BICA;
- self-regulated, bootstrapped and meta-learning;
- language acquisition and symbol grounding;
- non-von-Neumann computational systems for BICA;
- a roadmap to the BICA Challenge.
Submission categories are:
- short abstracts;
- extended abstracts;
- position papers up to two pages;
- research papers up to six pages.
Submissions longer than six pages are welcome; a fee of 50 EUR per extra page will be charged to authors.
Please submit your paper using the EasyChair Conference System.
The conference proceedings will be published in a volume of the Advances in Intelligent and Soft Computing Book Series by Springer (indexed by ISI, Scopus, DBLP, among others).
See Instructions for Authors at http://www.springer.com/series/4240.
Extended versions of selected papers will be published in the journal BICA (Biologically Inspired Cognitive Architectures, published by Elsevier) and in the International Journal of Machine Consciousness (published by World Scientific).
PLEASE NOTE: Perspective authors are kindly requested to submit a brief tentative abstract ASAP to speed the review process. The Convention will take place in Palermo (IT), from 31 of October to 3 of November at Hotel Piaza Borsa.